Benefits of Cabbage Soup
Cabbage soup is healthy, vegan, low-calorie, low-fat, low-carb, and can even assist with weight loss. It can also help maintain a healthy weight when eaten on a regular basis. For centuries, all around the world, people have used variations of cabbage soup to maintain good health and even assist with dropping a few pounds last minute before an important event.
Also, cabbage soup is perfect for warming up and providing much needed vitamins in the cold months like vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin K that are crucial to optimal health during winter. Plus, my cabbage soup recipe has just a teensy bit of spice to it, to help warm the old bones, ease digestion, and clear the sinuses.
However, most people just eat cabbage soup any time of year because it tastes great, the ingredients are easy to find in any grocery store and are inexpensive, and it’s very easy to make. I use all organic ingredients, but you can substitute any of them for conventionally grown veggies and spices, if needed.
My homemade vegan cabbage soup recipe is savory with just a hint of spiciness, but best of all, it’s cruelty-free and includes only vegan and organic ingredients.
Whether you’re a vegan or not, give this recipe a try, and if you love it like I do, make it a regular recipe in your household for maintaining good health.
My Homemade Vegan Cabbage Soup
Serves 6 and it’s only 57 calories per serving!
- 1-1/2 32 oz containers of Simple Truth organic fat free vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 14 oz bags of Fresh Express 3 color deli cole slaw (with green cabbage, carrots, red cabbage)
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian style stewed tomatoes
- 1 TBSP California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of organic celery
- 1/4 organic onion
- 3 cloves of organic garlic
- 1 TBSP Annie’s organic vegan worchestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 TSP cayenne
- 1 TSP paprika
- 1/2 TSP thyme
- 1/2 TSP marjoram
- 1/2 TSP dill
- 1/2 TSP basil
- 1 TSP rosemary
- 1 TSP parsley
- Chop the celery and onion into small pieces.
- Dice the garlic.
- In a large stock pot, saute celery, onion, and garlic in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Add all remaining ingredients into the stock pot and simmer over medium heat for approximately 30 minutes. Serve it hot for best taste.